Saturday, June 22, 2013

Best Adventure Time Episodes (I've Seen So Far)


Yes, I know, I'm a bit behind, I've only seen the first three-and-a-half seasons, and one or two episodes from later seasons, so I can't include fan-favourites 'I Remember You', 'The Lich', 'Jake The Dog', 'Finn the Human' and 'Simon and Marcy'. Nevertheless, here are the episodes I HAVE seen, that I've enjoyed most:

S1
Slumber Part Panic (the first real, proper episode, good fun)
Ricardio the Heart Guy (strange and funny - is that George Takei's voice?)
Memories of Boom-Boom Mountain (rough-housing)
City of Thieves (wonderfully absurd)
Henchman (the first time Marceline shows up)
What Have You Done? (would have been a good season finale)

S2
It Came from the Nightosphere (Marceline's dad shows up, laffs ensue)
The Eyes (the horse - supremely creepy)
The Other Tarts (just good fun)
Susan Strong (first appearance of a potentially major character)
Mortal Folly (first actual appearance of main - and scary - villain, the Lich)
Mortal Recoil (excellent conclusion to the Lich story)

S3
Conquest of Cuteness (hilarious)
Morituri Te Salutamus (achieves in 11 minutes what full-length feature movies often fail to)
Memory of a Memory (just... awesome)
Too Young (Lemongrab's first appearance... Unacceptable!!!)
Fiona and Cake (fantastic - I would watch the hell out of this as a full show)
What Was Missing (just for Marceline's song - Finn's is awful)
Beautopia (Susan Strong pt 2 - and if I'm not wrong, the truth about Finn's mother)
Jake vs Me-mow (also hilarious)
Thank You (just beautiful)
Holly Jolly Secrets (alternately hilarious and heart-breaking)
Marceline's Closet (more hilarity)

S4
Dream of Love (sweet)

S5
All the Little People (... interesting)


To be clear, ANY episode of Adventure Time is better than pretty much any episode of any other cartoon*, but as you can see from the above, season 3 has been my favourite so far (out of what I've seen). The half of season 4 that I've seen has had some funny moments, but the bigger story (Return to the Nightosphere, Daddy's Little Girl) didn't do it for me, and Flame Princess seems like the obligatory complication to the Finn/Bubblegum relationship (yes, I believe in the First Girl Wins trope - I believe All the Little People bears this out). Overall, it seems the show is just getting better and better, and they're churning them out fast.

*with the exception, possibly, of Futurama (I'm thinking especially of the episode Jurassic Bark).

No comments:

Post a Comment